GL1800Riders Forums banner

Some Helmet Buying Questions....Confused

5K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  bgross 
#1 ·
Were do you buy your helmets, and are the expensive helmets ($500 and up) worth the price???

I remember when Arai wouldn't sell their helmets on the internet because they wanted the buyer
to visit dealership to try them on for fit. :shrug:

Thanks for your input.

#27 ·
Fit is everything with a helmet...I have found that Nolan's fit my head shape best but that was after several failed attempts and purchases. Best to find a dealer with multiple manufacturers and choices...put it on your head and walk around for 1/2 an hour...look for "hot spots" or pressure points that annoy you within 30 minutes and then imagine that after 6-8 hours on the bike. The new Shoei Neotech seems to have a good fit and finish and fits my head better than previous models so that may be a consideration going forward as I do not like the fit and finish of the new N104 Nolan. Take your time, try and get it right the first time...I didn't $$$.

#28 ·
Some here write about noise in a helmet.
So when buying one how can you tell if it's noisy or not?

Do these helmet places have young sexy 18 yr. or 20 year old gals blow in your ear with a helmet on..........LOL......:lol:.......:yes1:
With a proper fitting helmet the wind is never going to reach your ears.
With a 'too big' helmet the wind bounces around inside the helmet.

#31 ·
Nothing wrong with buying online with someone who has a good return policy. I've bought several online, no problem. Returns just cost you shipping... but I will admit that if you have access to store like "The Helmet Shop" in Daytona FL, physically going there and trying helmets is well worth it. Plan to drop some money on a quality helmet.... and don't be cheap when buying something to protect your head... you do get what you pay for. You could just buy a Honda Rebel if you want to ride "a motorcycle"... but, you spend 25K for a GW instead, why?... well, there is a difference....... helmets are the same.

I've had the entire line of Nolan N100's since 2002, the current N104 I have fits me the best and is almost perfect in design. I bought it from Sierra Electronics and once the fit was confirmed I sent it back to them and they installed the J&M headsets... I bought an Arai in Daytona when I needed something for riding the CBR... the Nolan doesn't fit the head well in this riding position.... but a racing helmet like the Arai Corsair Rx7 I got did; and it's a real nice helmet for full face design. Fits like is was designed for me.

There's a lot of trial and error in finding the right helmet, gloves, jacket, pants, etc..... don't be surprised if you go through three or four before finding what you like the best.

#33 ·
I bought a couple helmets on-line with no issues, but then I bought one that didn't fit quite right. I was able to return it for a different size, but the free shipping was only one way so I had to pay shipping back to the company, and since the replacement wasn't a new sale, I had to pay shipping back to me for that helmet. That was my last purchase on-line.

As to how much to spend, that's a difficult question to answer. I have an $600 Arai and an $125 HJC right now. I ride four different motorcycles regularly, two with large fairings and two without and I can't really tell the difference between the two as far as noise goes.

They feel about the same on my head, but the Arai has some nice features such as small "pockets" in the padding where the arms of my glasses fit. It makes it easier to get the helmet on and off if I don't have to fight with my glasses.

On the other hand, the shield changing mechanism on the Arai is complicated compared to the HJC, but the Arai shield has never come loose while the HJC shield has a couple times. The Arai also doesn't have a positive stop to hold the shield slightly open for ventilation, but it does have better vents than the HJC, but with the HJC's shield slightly open it flows a lot more air than the Arai.

I find myself reaching for the Arai on the naked bikes because of the aerodynamics. The HJC's shape is more oval and when I turn my head the wind tends to catch the helmet while the Arai is more round and I don't feel like the wind is move it around as much.

Overall I'm satisfied with both, but if I were on a budget I'd only have the HJC and be quite happy.

#34 ·
The next time I buy a new helmet I will spend the extra money and buy something like a Shoei Neotech. Up until our last big trip, my wife and I had been very happy with our Scorpion EXO-900 helmets. We got caught in the rain (has happened many times before) and for whatever reason the chrome plated trim on both helmets began to bubble, peel, and flake off everywhere. It made for a real PITA, as the flakes got all over our visors and occasionally in our eyes.

Exact same issue with my Wife's EXO-900 helmet.

#35 ·
Just replaced my Shoei with a Bell. Had Bell helmets for years, went to other brands last being a Shoei. They FIT, that is why I purchased them. Just got a Bell Vortex because it fits my head. All the reviews said the Vortex was noisy (and it is) with no windshield, seems to quiet right down on the Goldwing. I wear earplugs on my Sportster anyway. Fit is the key! Fit first then price.;)

#36 ·
I have no problems buying on line, lot's of great companies these days like Revzilla that have great video reviews and return policies. I am not one for flip ups and I like full face helmets. I like Shoei and have a "Shoei fit" the GT Air is a good touring helmet if you like the inner sun visor, the Quest is also good. Another helmet manufacturer I did not know much about but has really surprised me is NEXX. I just picked up a NEXX Carbon XR1R, it's the lightest and quietest helmet I have ever owned.
JT

#37 ·
Mostly on line, I'm a creature of habit. I also replace them every 3-4 years.

For the "try it on" comment, the first 3 things to look for in a helmet are fit, fit, and then FIT.
If it don't fit or have the right head shape it will either hurt, or be so big it will be an outright safety issue or not be there in the proper way when needed.
Head shapes vary and the makers are still somewhat in denial as to heads being different. I don't wear the top two Japanese lids because they are over priced IMHO, but more so because they don't fit well.

Is a $500 helmet better than a $150-$200 helmet? Well, any more it depends. Pretty equal in protection, but the more expensive will vent better and have a nicer lining. That gap has also narrowed to near non-existent except for the most discriminating. Farkles have also narrowed in the gap.

Get a real fitting. Not trying them on under the not so watchful eye of a sales clerk in the helmet department that is more interested in social media. Decide the level of protection you want (SNELL, DOT, ECE22.05) then find the visors, ear wells for intercoms, etc. Ever wonder why so many XXL, and XXXL helmets are "needed" or wanted. There are some big heads out there, but most folks find something they like or is cool (and it probably is) and it doesn't fit. So, what do they do? They go up in size until it stops. Not such a good idea.

Get a fitting, decide what is out there for you, figure out the accessories you want, and buy. Any and all effort to find a competent shop for said fitting is worth its weight in gold. If they aren't grossly overpriced, buy it from the folks that educated you on your head shape and proper size, it can be as pricey or a frugal purchase. Point is it has to be there when and if you need it. If it hurts, you won't wear it.

Cheers
:bow:

Perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.