GL1800Riders Forums banner

Mobil 1 Syn. High temp grease

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cjmitch 
#1 ·
I took the wheels off my newly acquired Hannigan to check/grease the bearings. Everything looked great! I got out my grease gun that had a tube of Mobile 1 Syn. that was about 6 months old. It had separated- red oil had all run out leaving red play-dough like grease in the tube. I had an old half used tube of Wal Mart brand High temp grease that was good, which I used. I have had very good results with all "Super Tech" lubes. The one time I buy the good stuff...not so good. Anyone know why it separated? Do I need to let the guy know who bought my HF to change out the grease?

#3 ·
I'm no lubricant engineer, but I've worked with lubes. Some think high temp grease is tops. I hardly think a wheel brging gets to high temp unless it has no grease. High temp grease is just that and not much more. A water resistant grease is not good for high temp apps and the same for the opposite and all the other variables .
As for the red oil separation- your bearings have seals at each end. The seal keeps the dirt and water out and keeps the grease in. It all gets blended again as the wheel turns.
Periodic maintenance is as important as the grease structure . Oh by the way! That is a beautiful trailer.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Tribology

The Mobil-1 Red is a good grease for use with roller bearings. It is used in a wide variety of applications, including the motor-generators on submarines. The study of oils and lubricants is called tribology. It is a rather interesting study - and is worth a small bit of time to read up on some of it.

Regarding the big picture of grease - in essence it is oil suspended in a binder agent. During use the oil comes out of the binder and makes a low friction film between the moving parts. The binder agent is there to keep the oil from running out and away from the areas you desire to keep it in. In this case bearings. Mobil-1 Red has a low pour point - meaning that it will liquefy or run out of the binder agent at a low temp which is good for lubrication at low temps (you're not trying to churn butter, you want your bearings to roll). It is considered a high-temp grease because its lubrication properties will not break down in a high-temp condition, which you would be amazed at how high a temp bearings can get.

Regarding the grease separated in the tube - not unusual. When you get the grease in the tubs, oftentimes if it has been sitting awhile it has to be mixed back together - same as when you buy a gallon of paint and it sits a while before using - has to be remixed. Doesn't hurt a thing. Regarding concern on the grease you used in the bearings - do you need to warn the guy that bought your HF? No - your looking at a difference in amounts present. In the tube gravity worked on the overall mass present and allowed some settling to occur. In the small amounts used in the bearing, not an issue. Overall, when you pack a bearing you mash the grease in everywhere. When the bearing starts to roll, the binder agent is pushed to the outside, leaving the oil inside the bearing surfaces. The excess grease goes to the outside of the bearing where it acts as both a barrier to foreign object intrusion (water, dirt, etc.), a barrier to the oil running out, and as a reservoir of additional available oil for the bearings.

Here's a quick chart from Mobil regarding some of their greases: http://www.mobilindustrial.com/IND/english/greases_grease_guide.aspx

The reason the cheaper oil didn't separate like the good stuff is because it was a cheaper, thicker product. Will it work for your application - yeah probably. Can't give a definite yeah/nay since I don't have the item in front of me. Regarding using disk brake wheel bearing grease - yes that's good grease - has good high temp properties with a low pour point (stays slippery at low temps). As with all things - each has its own areas of designed use. You can oftentimes use for different applications - just make sure it will meet the needs of where you are going to use it. 90 weight gear oil is great for rear differentials, not so good in the engine.

#7 ·
#8 ·

Regarding the grease separated in the tube - not unusual. When you get the grease in the tubs, oftentimes if it has been sitting awhile it has to be mixed back together - same as when you buy a gallon of paint and it sits a while before using - has to be remixed. Doesn't hurt a thing.

Great reply, thanks. I had my grease gun hanging. Had red oil all in the tool box and red play-dough in the grease gun so there was no way to mix it back together but I know now.
Thanks Again for your very informative reply.

#9 ·
What a great reply... nicely written, and enough detail to make your eyes buldge.
ehhh - Thank you? ;) Hope your eyes didn't hurt too much. :lol:

Great reply, thanks. I had my grease gun hanging. Had red oil all in the tool box and red play-dough in the grease gun so there was no way to mix it back together but I know now.
Thanks Again for your very informative reply.
You are welcome sir, I'm pleased it was helpful.

#10 ·
Two weeks ago after my Mobil 1 separated, I used a tub of Supertech that I had for couple of years. I then went to Wal-Mart and purchased a tube of Supertech Hi-Temp Synthetic and put it in my grease gun. I went out today, grabbed my grease gun and found red oil everywhere. The Supertech had separated too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.