GL1800Riders Forums banner

A Trip With Dad

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Herbike 
#1 ·
Been busy so did not post right away....

Took my dad (who did drive his own bike) on a trip the first week of June....he is now 78 years old...so most likely his last long trip....we left on Sat and went to Canton OH to visit the NFL Hall of Fame....he really enjoyed it....the next day we did 8 hours of riding through every scenic and curvy road in PA.....then we ended up at Americade inLake George NY...he never was at Americade before...he enjoyed it...(Americade was a lot smaller his year than it was four years ago...)...did some daisy chain loops in the morning and then Americade in the afternoon....went to a comedy show on Tuesday night, a Rodeo on Wed night with a Texas BBQ was good....left Lake George on Thursday Morning head to VT and then NH....good riding....then Sat headed home...went along the St Lawrence seaway....Here where it got to be cool....We stopped at Boldt Castle in Alexander NY....for $11 we toured this 1890 built castle and boat house...you got to do it...just look up Boldt Castle....it was great....then head back to Milwaukee.....

My dad had a great time...was great to spend it with him knowing that his cycling days are slowing coming to a close.....

Thought I would just share that....

Safe Rides

See less See more
#2 ·
Dad

Congrats on a great trip with your father. I'm sure they are memories that will last forever for you and your dad. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

#3 ·
very very cool :thumbup:
I did a week with my daughter when she was 12 in Nc/Ky/Ga/Tn .
Still my favorite ride and it makes me smile everytime I think about it .
That ride Mark you and your father did makes me jealous .

#4 ·
Fantastic Mark. Thinking about your trip and wishing I could have done that with my dad.

#6 ·
Fantastic Mark......You can't beat having experience's and memory's with family. No one can take that away.
Sounds like you two had a good time. 78 years old and still at it........way too go.

Loren and I have been riding more the last few year. Add we are building this bike together. We have had lots of memorable times together lately .
I am loving it.

Lee

#8 ·
They can take away everything you own...but can't take the memories......

I think what makes it so cool is both him and I have had several Heart attacks....6 for me and 5 by-passes for him...so each day and each year we can ride is a blessing...the only bad thing is...with each heart attack....the bike gets heavier and heavier...or I just get weaker and weaker :shrug:

....OK...off to the gym to watch the women...oops...I mean lift weights....:shock:

#9 ·
That is very cool. Glad you got a good quality ride in with your dad while he is still able. Sounds like he had a great time.

My dad and I did some riding together but never got to do a big trip together. He rode Wings since the year they came out but unfortunalty he passed away in the early 80's. I'm now riding with my son and we have done a few short trips. Plan to do a big one with him next year.

#10 ·
That is very cool. Glad you got a good quality ride in with your dad while he is still able. Sounds like he had a great time.

My dad and I did some riding together but never got to do a big trip together. He rode Wings since the year they came out but unfortunalty he passed away in the early 80's. I'm now riding with my son and we have done a few short trips. Plan to do a big one with him next year.
Cherish the times with your son.....

#12 ·
That trip has got to be chocked full of memories for you that can never be forgotten.
I got to go on two short dual sport rides with my son last year and they were great. We did a lot of racing together when he was growing up. Now they are all memories, he passed away June 8th, only 35.
My condolences and prayers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.