GL1800Riders Forums banner

Looking for recommendation - cooling vest

11K views 78 replies 42 participants last post by  TexWalter 
#1 ·
I am looking buy cooling vests for an upcoming ride. Any recommendations?

#27 ·
Just to throw another option into the mix - Colorado Coolwear. Made in America by Americans. We've had them for four or five years, now, and they work great for us:

http://www.coloradocoolwear.com/
I bought 2 of these as well.. one for wife and one for me... wasn't very impressed after a 3200 mile trip to Blue Ridge earlier with the Coloroado Coolvests and Mesh jackets.. Definitely did help... Then I decided to try the LDComfort long sleeve tee shirt and textile jacket.. little hard to make myself do that, but well worth it. No comparison between LDC and the coolvest. Of my "addons", the LDComfort has impressed me the most, well except for the Michelin Alpin :lol:... impressed me more than the progressive monotubes (which I also do like) or the Windbender. If you can keep moving, you actually do feel cool, not just comfortable. Just rewet through the arm airvents... use Olympia AST jacket.

#28 ·
I bought one of the evaporative vests and tried it on the first half of one trip. Wasn't impressed. I prefer to pull my T shirt off and soak it under the faucet in the mens room, put it back on wet, and zip up my Motoport kevlar mesh jacket. The wet shirt will provide cooling for about an hour and a half in 114° temps passing through OK in July or August.

I consider the vests just one more overpriced and overrated motorcycle gimmick.

#30 ·
Polarvest

Ed, been there and done that. About all I could get out of the Polarvest was about 45min to an hour then I'd have to find a spot to stop, unplug, remove my jacket, remove the Polarvest, remove the depleted phase change packs, open cooler retrieve charged phase change packs, put charged phase change packs in vest, put depleted phase change packs in cooler to let them recharge, put vest on, put jacket on, put helmet back on, get back on bike and proceed down the road for another 45min to an hour. Granted I was using a Motorport kevlar mesh jacket and would probably gotten more time out of the packs if I used a textile jacket but I just got tired of the drill.
TexWalter, I use a Tourmaster airflow Jacket and have always had about 3 hrs before a change of packs was required , at a gas stop or lunch. I have never changed the packs in less than 3 hrs.

#31 ·
Veskimo

Veskimo Two-up would be a challenge, though.
I plan to install a reciever hitch and put both ice chests on the small platform slipped into the reciever hitch. For me, custom ice blocks in the ice cooler are good for about 4 hours then it's bagged ice from there on until I get back home. My lower back is about 67 degrees when I get home from a 6 hour ride in 90-95 degree weather.

#32 ·
I bought a Veskimo system at the beginning of summer 2012. I used on several trips last summer in temperatures up to 110 degrees. Works very well. If its really hot, gas station crushed ice will last two hours or so. Duck into a gas station, fill up with gas and ice and I'm good to go. One issue though. The adjustment straps on the side of the vest have plastic sliders. One of these rubbed me raw over my rib cage on a two week trip last year. I had to wrap the offending strap in moleskin just to wear the vest after a couple of days. This summer I bought a shirt from Coolshirt Systems and adapted it to the Veskimo pump system. The shirt is much more comfortable to wear and stays against my skin better.

#33 ·
I bought a Veskimo system at the beginning of summer 2012. I used on several trips last summer in temperatures up to 110 degrees. Works very well. If its really hot, gas station crushed ice will last two hours or so. Duck into a gas station, fill up with gas and ice and I'm good to go. One issue though. The adjustment straps on the side of the vest have plastic sliders. One of these rubbed me raw over my rib cage on a two week trip last year. I had to wrap the offending strap in moleskin just to wear the vest after a couple of days. This summer I bought a shirt from Coolshirt Systems and adapted it to the Veskimo pump system. The shirt is much more comfortable to wear and stays against my skin better.
I don't understand how this would be possible.

The sliders on my vest are metal, but the elastic straps are looped through them in such a way that they couldn't contact my skin at all. But even if they did, I don't see how they could "rub me raw" unless I were so obese the sliders were enveloped in rolls of fat. Also, I'd have to be doing the Lambada whilst seated to get enough motion in my torso to "rub me raw'.

I don't wear the vest on bare skin anymore. Wearing the vest over a lightweight wicking shirt cools me just as well and slows the heat transfer, increasing the endurance of the ice. I also use the timer to cycle the pump. Block ice lasts the longest; bagged ice is second best, but can be helped by adding a bottle of chilled water rather than tap water when refilling. Warm hotel ice doesn't last long at all.

hansong

#34 ·
LD Comfort and a bottle of water.
Double ditto on the Long Distance Comfort gear!

Last week I crossed the desert going from California across Nevada and Utah Salt Flats. All I had was my LDC top with my jacket over the top of it. To stay cool, all I had to do was wet down my sleeves and it literally was like having an air conditioner blowing on me. No joke! It was great riding across the desert being cool and comfortable. I carried a couple extra 20 oz bottles of tap water for rewetting the sleeves after they stopped cooling. The stuff works as advertised and I have become a believer. I'm glad I purchased an extra set at the LDC store when I went through Hoquiam, WA a few weeks ago. :thumbup:

#35 ·
Best cooling vest in the world for summer riding

I have been using this vest for 4 years and an extremely happy with it. I have two vests, 8 packs of ice. They turn to ice simply by placing in ice water for a few minutes and are well worth the money. I have only had to use one vest and one set of ice packs, keeping the others in a Wal Mart Cooling back with a couple of Frozen Coleman "Chillers" (Camping Dept at Walmart) that are about the size of a bag of Potato chips. They have stayed cold all night in the trunk of my Goldwing.

So, don't waste your time like I did trying those vests that you soak in water that swell up and weigh 40 pounds only to DRENCH your body. Try these out and let me know what you think.

Company was originally listed as CoolWingRider.com

http://www.polarvest.com/0/Client.php

http://www.polarvest.com/0/Applications.php

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME FOR ANY QUESTIONS.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle accessories Automotive tire

#37 ·
I have not bought the LDC sleeves (love the shorts) but have pretty much tried every other item mentioned.

If you are riding 1 up, get the veskimo system. By far, it works better than anything else mentioned, except the LDC sleeves that I have not tried and therefore can't comment on their effectiveness.

If 2-up, if you have a receiver hitch to put the ice water chest I dunno. My wife ain't gonna ride with me if it's that's hot.

#38 ·
Veskimo. Great product and customer service.

#40 ·
"Wing World" just had a test report about a very affordable evaporative cooling vest.

Death Valley testing revealed the el-cheepo wet-it-down vest, that some here claim doesn't work, starts off keeping the rider about 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air temperature. Testing showed that under a mesh jacket (a big no-no to some), the vest dried a bit after 20 minutes and then kept the rider about 10 degrees cooler for another 3 hours. Not bad for $50 bucks. And you don't have to buy a second, vented textile jacket. Testing was done on a Valk and a Wing.

I invite others who love the more expensive options to repeat the test using their favorite products and report back here with objective evidence. Please notice I am not saying other options won't work or aren't better. I just think the cool vest and a mesh jacket work pretty well (10-20 degrees cooler) for not much money (about $50).

#41 ·
I'm with "TOPGUN PILOT" We use Phase change vest from Coolwingrider.com . Same as Polarvest. We have two with an extra set of phase change packs. Run with a cooler liner in the left bag and switch out the phase change material when we need to (Typically at fuel changes) They keep the core cool but not ice cold by staying at about 45 degrees. Freeze solid in 20 min of ice water. Took us through 115 degrees of Utah in the heat of summer, and 100 degrees from Atlanta to Texas a few months back. I got tired of getting soaked to just to feel slimy with the soak vests and couldn't see using hoses and cables in combination with all of the other cables you have on a Wing. Plus these are thin without the pack and don't present any storage issues. Phase change material for four vests fits in cooler bag and leaves room for a couple of beers as well. A bit pricy but really saved us in high heat. Proved to be well worth it.

#43 ·
Veskimo, I've had one for about three years now. I tried all the other vests (evaporative, phase change) and LDC but none of them works quite as well as the Veskimo. Oh, I still wear LDC but the Veskimo is under it keeping me cool.
you mention wearing of the Veskimo product in direct skin contact....

as a long term, 30+ year user, due to working in Hot Boiler Rooms/Steam Plants and riding throughout North America, i am somewhat experienced in using these things. specifically, the Veskimo Vest.

i submit you should try stopping that due to effects of direct skin contact/cold damages to tissues.

there is/has been Litigation due to this mis-usage in the medical arena.

Wearing the Shirt of Choice or other garment will prevent some of the reported/known problems:
nerve damage, tissue damage, circulation issues, possible frostbite, gangrene, and even some cases that appeared to be similar to “swamp foot” disease.
additionally, this also will cause Vasoconstriction (dilation Small blood Vessels) and creates the opposite effects desired from long term exposures.

the litigations have caused the various medical supply companies manufacturing these circulating Chilled Fluid Vests/Garments to effect changes to the methodology of exposing the skin to the extreme cold.
some items have been adjusting the Timers and limit the volume of chilled fluids thru the sizing of the tubes.
and education on uses.

these products have also been useful for Folks dealing with MS.

infact, the Long distance World, has a Rider that has to use the device(s) to allow him to ride.
See:
http://www.longhaulpaul.com/
for an entertaining challenge from his perspective.

again i hope you enjoy your riding with the cooling vest.

#45 ·
"Wing World" just had a test report about a very affordable evaporative cooling vest.

Death Valley testing revealed the el-cheepo wet-it-down vest, that some here claim doesn't work, starts off keeping the rider about 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air temperature. Testing showed that under a mesh jacket (a big no-no to some), the vest dried a bit after 20 minutes and then kept the rider about 10 degrees cooler for another 3 hours. Not bad for $50 bucks. And you don't have to buy a second, vented textile jacket. Testing was done on a Valk and a Wing.

I invite others who love the more expensive options to repeat the test using their favorite products and report back here with objective evidence. Please notice I am not saying other options won't work or aren't better. I just think the cool vest and a mesh jacket work pretty well (10-20 degrees cooler) for not much money (about $50).
Let's see Death Valley in the Summer the temps are usually above 110F, often above 115F with RHs in single digits to low teens. With a 20 degree cooling for 20 mins that means with a vest and mesh jacket you can ride 24 miles in an effective 95F bubble and as far as you can stand it at 105F. Wow, hold me back, what a combination. Twenty minutes of riding where you are hot followed by riding for up to 3 hours in temps that will cause heat injury. I guess I can get rid of my textile jacket and LDComfort and start riding in "a big no-no to some" mesh jacket and a "el-cheepo" wet it down vest since Wing World is such an authority on hot WX riding.

Here are the facts: Under the conditions of Death Valley today (113F/RH 10%), riding with my textile jacket over LDComfort I would ride in a low 70sF bubble of air from tank to tank. At my normal gas mileage that is about 2 hours 45 minutes of riding safely and in comfort or slightly less than the 3 hours and 20 minutes of riding in 93F to 103F, hot and in danger of heat injury that the mesh and cooling vest offers. I think I will stick with textile and LDCpmfort.

If they were giving 'em away mesh and cooling vests would still be a bad deal.

#46 ·
Ken, I'm riding across S. NV on Wed the 14th. I'm stopping for lunch (noon lcl time) at the Little Ale Inn. Come on up and I'll buy you a burger before I press on to Beatty and then across Death Valley to CA.

#47 ·
Ken, I'm riding across S. NV on Wed the 14th. I'm stopping for lunch (noon lcl time) at the Little Ale Inn. Come on up and I'll buy you a burger before I press on to Beatty and then across Death Valley to CA.
Make sure you gas up in Caliente or Alamo or Ash Springs before you head out to the Inn. No Gas between Alamo/Ash Springs and Tonopah. Wife's family has mining claims in that area.

#48 ·
There is a slight chance, I just finished a "back of the clock" Initial Sim this morning. My schedule has me doing Cockpit Procedures #1 on Sunday and then I'm open until I start another Initial Sim on the following Saturday. Only problem I'll bet someone will notice the open schedule, if no does I'll ride up.

#49 ·
Make sure you gas up in Caliente or Alamo or Ash Springs before you head out to the Inn. No Gas between Alamo/Ash Springs and Tonopah. Wife's family has mining claims in that area.
Thanks Pooch, I'll be stopping at the Shell in Ash Springs and again at the Shell in Tonopah on my way to Beatty. It's sure desolate out there. Come on over to the Little Ale Inn and have lunch w/ us Pooch.

There is a slight chance, I just finished a "back of the clock" Initial Sim this morning. My schedule has me doing Cockpit Procedures #1 on Sunday and then I'm open until I start another Initial Sim on the following Saturday. Only problem I'll bet someone will notice the open schedule, if no does I'll ride up.
Sounds good Ken. If you make it lunch is on me.

#50 ·
Tex, Thanks for the invite but Bobby C and I are headed to the Great Plains Rally in St. Libory, Nebraska that day. Didn't mean to jack the thread but hate to see anyone run out of fuel out that way.

#51 ·
Here are the facts: Under the conditions of Death Valley today (113F/RH 10%), riding with my textile jacket over LDComfort I would ride in a low 70sF bubble of air from tank to tank.
This could be true, but where are your facts? The tester in "Wing World" did not rely on subjective feelings. He recorded his actual test results using two digital thermometers. Are you willing to do the same? Your conviction would be more convincing with some measurable facts on your side. Not saying you can't get a 40-degree drop in temperature (although, it sounds unlikely), I'd just like to see the actual numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.