GL1800Riders Forums banner

2300 mile test ride

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  murf 
#1 ·
I picked up my blue dct tour from HOR rode down to Houston to visit family and go to rodeo and see Garth Brooks. Then home to Southern California. Thanks for all the posts regarding this motorcycle. I think it shortened my learning curve.
Pros 1. Dct trans. Game changer. Does take some getting used to. Weird clicking noises until you get used to them. But trans is flawless.
2. Electric windshield I am 6’3 and with the windshield raised no buffeting on my helmet. When you slow down the option for lowering is great.
3. Navigation compared to the navigation on my 2012 very improved. Easy to program with the wheel. Found my brothers house in Missouri city Texas which is only 6 months old.
4. Handling. On the 2012 you would hit a bump and brace for impact. This suspension works. Very impressed. You can feel the lighter weight. Inspires confidence in turns.
5. Lay out of the gages and information provided. Very simple. Clean.

Cons
1. Gas mileage. On my 2012 I averaged between 40and 45 mph. Expecting 20% increase. For mixed riding freeway and secondary roads I average 38 mph. I am hopeful that will improve.
2. Apple car play. I have used it in car applications and it works great. I know I am technically challenged but I struggled getting it programmed. It worked for about 3 days then stopped. Worked great when working. Confident will get it sorted.
3. Second key fob. Purchased second key fob. Went to start bike on second day. Could not get anything to work. Luckily read on this forum about having both fobs together causes problems. Took one fob away. Problem solved.
Sorry about the long post. Over all very impressed with bike. Very happy with the purchase. No problems registering it in Calif just had bike inspected locking for vin carb cert engine number. Paid sales tax and license fees and received plates.

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome. Thanks tor the review.

I am doing better than you report with MPG so I bet yours improves over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
in 1700 miles, I have never gotten less than 46 mpg

#8 ·
Jgalfo,
You should be getting awesome fuel economy, you're in Florida... The highest elevation there is an overpass or the landfill!!! >:)

#10 ·
I am getting similar MPG and I live in North Carolina.... but have yet to hit the real mountains to the west.

Congrats again to the new owner and thanks for the review.

#13 ·
Congrats on the ride. I’m about to do a similar ride: Picking up from HOR and then riding it back to Lompoc, CA. What route did you take? Any suggestions for that ride, specifically fuel starved stretches?

#14 ·
I went down to Houston to visit relatives. When I left Houston I took interstate 10 west. Averaged between 400 and 500 miles a day. For you going straight back to Lompoc interstate 40 west. Keep an eye on the weather. No issues with gas on the interstate. Even averaging 75 to 80 miles an hour. I think you should come close to 200 miles on a tank. I ran it down to 20 miles left once and took 4.8 gallons. Congratulations on the new ride you will love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.