GL1800Riders Forums banner

Tire Pressure @ Altitude

4K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  SuperAirIan 
#1 ·
Many of the contributors to this forum appear to be located in parts of the Country that are close(r) to Sea-Level. Many of you using M/Ts seem to advocate running 41 front and 41 rear.

Just as a heads-up, as you climb in elevation the atmospheric pressure is reduced by a rough rule-of-thumb of 0.5 PSI for every 1,000 foot change. This depends on ambient temperature and, to a lesser degree, barometric conditions.

I regularly ride in the 3,000 - 5,000 foot range of elevation above Sea-Level so if I were to follow the 41/41 recommendation (and I do, thanks) of someone in...say...Florida, I need to REDUCE my tyre pressure.

More like to the 39.5 to 38.5 range respectively.

Just say'n

#59 ·
I live on the Coast here in Australia and after say 5 minutes on the bike the tyre pressures are up about 2 lb and after a morning around 5. I have always ran 40 Lb rear and 38 front in every bike I have owned, without a problem and once you get along the cold tyre pressures don't exist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.