GL1800Riders Forums banner

Of Clipped Wings and Tummy Hair

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ssncob 
#1 · (Edited)
So, looks like my son and I will not be riding for a month or so due to a crazy couple of weeks.

Week before last our oldest son ended up in the ER with gall stones and a gallbladder that needed to come out. On that Thursday they shaved his tummy and pulled his gallbladder out through a tiny hole in his belly button. His wife had way too much fun watching them shave his tummy! He went home last Saturday. With a loving wife and a pair of daughters there to tend to him, Carolyn and I headed out for a fun Saturday night in Texas - one week ago today.

We rode 250 miles of back roads getting to Luckenbach, catching up with our favorite Texas Country singer, Bart Crow. The plan was to just catch a motel room somewhere nearby after the show and come home Sunday. However there was so much going on in the area, no room was found. So, I cut my drinking way short and we headed home after the show.

We stopped at Buc-ee's in Bastrop for gas about 2:00 Sunday morning and I grabbed a large cup of coffee along with a few jalapeño sausage and cheese kolaches. Oh they were good n spicy! But turned out to be real expensive too! By the time we got home my gut was starting to turn, but by Sunday afternoon I thought I was okay again.

Now the wife was napping by the time we got to Buc-ee's so she did not eat kolaches. Guess what she fixed for supper Sunday night? Yup, jalapeño sausage, beans n rice. Good stuff!

By Monday morning my gut had me curled up like a baby when I wasn't trying to decide which end of me needed to be facing the toilet! By Tuesday I was in the ER. I'll be danged if the Sugar Land ER folks didn't treat me just like the Katy ER folks treated my son a week earlier ... shaved my tummy and pulled my gallbladder out through my belly button!

What are the odds, father and son gallbladders one week apart?

So, here were sitting in a pair of recliners with daughter/granddaughters tend to us while the wifes giggle about shaved tummies! Both of us restricted to lifting no more than 10 pounds for a month, my Wing and his Valkyrie starting to gather dust in the garage.

This is going to be one long month for us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
LOOKS LIKE "APPLE DIDNT FALL TO FAR FROM THE TREE" !:grin2:LEAST YOU GOT BACK HOME TO SURGERY AND NOT ON ROAD.!! SPEEDY RECOVERY

#4 ·
Dang Hoss - overall glad to hear you (and your son) are okay. Aren't you glad for modern medicine??

I'm down for a bit - finally got the steel plate in my leg out this week so can understand the dust-gathering comment.

Take care of yourself - don't push the recovery too much :).

#6 ·
No trophy. They told me mine was borderline gangrene and tossed it in the hazardous waste container!

And, no holes large enough to leave good scars. The entire thing happened via a hole in the belly button, a hole so small they just glued it shut!

I actually have a County Clinic doctor to go thank next week. Being free, I went there first. She talked to me about five minutes, poked my belly twice, opened the door and told me that I could drive myself straight to the ER of my choice RIGHT NOW or she was calling an ambulance. Before she let me out the door she had the name of the ER I was going too. The way she acted, I bet she called to confirm my arrival at the ER. A clinic doc that gives a flip? Who knew? This one is getting kudos for sure, probably saved my live.

Fancy meds! I wake up with this rubber ball in a bag, strap to hang off my shoulder and tiny lines running into small holes under my ribs. The ball is under pressure and delivering a steady dose of pain med directly to the surgery area. When the ball goes flat in a couple of days I am supposed to peel the tape off quickly and that will pull the little tubes out of my belly. The whole thing is water proof, shower, tub whatever. Neat little setup.

It was bigger than a baseball yesterday, about size of a small lemon now.

#8 ·
Just made it hurt? I'll have to work on it. Should feel more like a raging bull just double-punched you with both rear hoofs and sent you flying out of the ring! Ha.

Try this. There is a reason they made that hole so small. They used it first to pump me full of air, blew me up like a big beach ball! Then they have room to shuffle all the pieces and parts around in there and get to the one they are after. Then they "do their best" to get most of the air back out. My son had bad post surgery pain in a shoulder - from a big pocket of air that migrated out of his gut.

If I quit talking about it, maybe I wouldn't be taking so much pain meds!

Reactions: megatwin
#9 ·
Back in the saddle again!

Last Monday, at my post-op flow up visit, the doctor gave me a work release with a restriction of lifting no more than 20 pounds for a month. So, I asked him if I could ride my bike and he said, "Sure, just take it easy." Cool!

Upon returning home and reporting such to my wife she immediately questioned if I had explained to the good doctor that my "bike" was not a bicycle, that the bike weighed a thousand pounds and had a small car engine mounted on it. Uh, no honey, I got the answer I wanted and just left it at that!

So my wife posed a challenge, a "task" to be completed BEFORE I could ride again. Challenge accepted and I captured that flag by Friday!:wink2:

I dusted the bike off yesterday morning, Saturday, 3 full weeks after being parked, and we went for a short ride. A bit easy at first, but after about a 100 miles I was starting to get loosened back up. Still not swinging around very quickly, but it sure felt good to be back in the saddle with the (hot) wind in my face again.

I am not ready for a RAT Ride just yet, but 230 (s)miles of back roads is a dang good start. We only stopped once for gas and once for a meal. By the time we got home, the low back and ab muscles say I pushed it just a bit. But hey, no pain, no gain!

I am still missing about 15-20 pounds somewhere. But a few Rides To Eat should fix that. However, I am staying away from the jalapeño sausage n cheese kolaches - for now.

Our son is back at work this week too. He is a training officer, so he picked up a rookie that was a track star in high school. For now, when it comes time to chase down a perp, he can just point and tell the rookie to, "Go get 'em!" Ha!>:)

#10 ·
Back in the saddle again!

Last Monday, at my post-op flow up visit, the doctor gave me a work release with a restriction of lifting no more than 20 pounds for a month. So, I asked him if I could ride my bike and he said, "Sure, just take it easy." Cool!

Upon returning home and reporting such to my wife she immediately questioned if I had explained to the good doctor that my "bike" was not a bicycle, that the bike weighed a thousand pounds and had a small car engine mounted on it. Uh, no honey, I got the answer I wanted and just left it at that!

So my wife posed a challenge, a "task" to be completed BEFORE I could ride again. Challenge accepted and I captured that flag by Friday!:wink2:

I dusted the bike off yesterday morning, Saturday, 3 full weeks after being parked, and we went for a short ride. A bit easy at first, but after about a 100 miles I was starting to get loosened back up. Still not swinging around very quickly, but it sure felt good to be back in the saddle with the (hot) wind in my face again.

I am not ready for a RAT Ride just yet, but 230 (s)miles of back roads is a dang good start. We only stopped once for gas and once for a meal. By the time we got home, the low back and ab muscles say I pushed it just a bit. But hey, no pain, no gain!

I am still missing about 15-20 pounds somewhere. But a few Rides To Eat should fix that. However, I am staying away from the jalapeño sausage n cheese kolaches - for now.

Our son is back at work this week too. He is a training officer, so he picked up a rookie that was a track star in high school. For now, when it comes time to chase down a perp, he can just point and tell the rookie to, "Go get 'em!" Ha!>:)
So... Inquiring minds want to know - what was the "task"?

#12 ·
Good to hear. And ya - what was the task? :shrug:

I'm up to riding again, sutures removed, have a Patriot Guard mission tomorrow, trimmed some trees today and made the wife happy with a nice burn pile for her (she has really turned into a pyro living out here :lol:)

I might (emphasis on might) mow the yard sometime next week. Why put off till tomorrow what you can just put off? :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.